Thursday, October 18, 2007

Week 6 #15 Library 2.0 & Web 2.0

My head is reeling from the vision of the future I just read
about and had no clue about until recently. The idea of the
library as constantly changing its' information offerings
with input from a host of "players" providing content
and changing that same content, remixing as needed,
well, the mind boggles! I think the iceberg article is a wee
bit on the negative side; the "just in case" and "come to
us" library model is a library mired in tradition and un-
willing to grab the arc of the future. More libraries, I hope
fall into the Librarian 2.0-trendspotter, gets content,
embraces Web 2.0 tools and my personal favorite,
controls technolust. My philosophy is more in line with
the (one and only woman contributor). Going back to the
Alexandrian library, she examines library as commodity
and product. Ultimately she sees the library of the future
going beyond Library2.0 to Library 4.0 which she aptly
calls "the knowledge spa" an immersion in a luxury of
ideas and thoughts, a retreat from techno-hustle, you
know, the library". I could not have expressed it better
myself. That's where I'll be. Will you?

No comments: